Friday, April 1, 2011

Char Siu Crepes

Char Siew Crepe
My first attempt at making my own crepes.

Oh, crap!
Char Siew Crepe
Did I just call those crepes? They're so seriously crappy, I couldn't spread them super thin and I couldn't make them round. They're in the shape of...giant amoebas.
Char Siew Crepe
Yikes!
I used this recipe. The recipe's pretty good and easy to follow, so I believe the problem was me, myself and I ^_^'
Next time I'll consider adding more salt/sugar to the batter to give it a touch more flavor.

Now the filling...
Char Siew Crepe
I like savory crepes, so I built my filling starting with oyster sauce and sriracha spicy sauce.
Add some market bought char siu...
Char Siew Crepe

Shredded cheeses (I normally use mozzarella and parmesan) freshly chopped cilantro...
Char Siew Crepe

Flip...
Char Siew Crepe
...and fold.
Char Siew Crepe
And bite the amoeba.
Despite looking horrrrible, it tasted pretty damn good.
Char Siew Crepe
What else did I put in the rest of my crap crepes?
Find out in my facebook page.

16 comments:

Jaimie said...

Rita does it again! You are so talented :)

foodtravelblog said...

I would love to try one though :)
Looks super good, nyammm....

mycookinghut said...

Love char siu!!

Unknown said...

Yum! That's a brilliant idea! Now if only my Hong Kong kitchen was big enough for me to try to make it! =(

Luuworld said...

mmmm. looks delicious. made my mouth water!

Cuisine Paradise said...

Yummy combination. Chr Siu and cheese! Veri interesting :)

daphne said...

I know exactly how u feel man! Love the use of char siew actually.

EAT ME MIKI! said...

wow what a great idea, that looks sooooo good...

Little Corner of Mine said...

Love your savory crepe, must taste yummy.

Joanne said...

I've never successfully made crepes either. They are WAY harder than they look! But when you fill them with delicious things...who really cares!

shellie said...

well they looked pretty damn good to me....i think im going to make some tonight....

Cooking Gallery said...

How fun! Char siew filled crepe, yum :). Shapes don't matter sometimes, as long as it tastes good?

Crystal said...

I have a tip for you!
I use a ladle full of batter and pour it into the pan, then I lift the pan and tilt it so the entire bottom is covered. That way it is paper thin and a circle (as long as your pan is circular!)

Your crepes look delicious! I usually fill mine with fresh raspberries and a bit of chocolate syrup ^.^

pigpigscorner said...

very interesting combo! YUM!

Chris said...

The recipe looks ok, though I had great success with Lily Ng's version. I would suggest sieving the mixture, and letting it rest a couple of hours. The first 2-3 crepes are usually not good, so just eat as is or feed it to the dog. When making the crepes, lift the pan off the heat, pour in the mixture and swirl it around before putting the pan back on the heat. Crepes keep well in the fridge, and also freezes well too. I like mine the Parisian way with fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle of sugar.

Alice said...

amouba? wahahahaha...there's no such thing as pretty amouba, so pls lah...dun call this pretty thing amouba hehehe....