Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Gyu Jin - All You Can Eat Beef Hot Pot with Dreyer's Ice Cream

I wanna share my new favorite hangout.
Perfect for this cool weather.
Perfect for meat lovers.
Perfect for big eaters.
Perfect for me.
It's this all you can eat Japanese hotpot chain called Gyu Jin.

SC discovered this place through his friend, who visits this place a least a few times a week, a few days in a row, who even gave the restaurant his favorite CD, so that he could listen to his favorite songs when he enjoys his hotpot dinners. Madness!

Gyu Jin
We've tried the sweet soy sauce and soy milk soup base. The sweet soy sauce is a bit too sweet for me, but many people love it. I love the idea of soy milk soup base, but it's a bit too subtle for me, I didn't get much of the soy scent, it curdles after being boiled for too long...but somehow I still find myself liking it...weird me.

Gyu Jin
We've also tried SC's friend's recommendation, just a plain soup base, and added lots of onions in it. It's lovely, but maybe we went a bit too far with the onions, we almost emptied the whole onion tray into our pot. LOL. The plain soup is not exactly plain, it's a flavorful (MSG?) broth and it showcases the beef and other ingredients better.

We've tried two different grades of beef.
Gyu Jin
The Australian beef. It may look a little lean, but since it's so thinly sliced, it didn't go chewy and it's really beefy. I love! It flavored our soup base nicely too! I We have finished four plates of this within the 60 minutes allowance, and we I felt like I didn't have enough. Please note that you can order your next plate of meat even before you finish your current plate, but just order what you can finish, there's a per-pound penalty for wastage ^_*

Gyu Jin
The second time, we tried their best beef, the wagyu. It's melt in your mouth delicious! But after we I finished the fifth plate, our broth has gone fattier than my hips! It's a bit too much, next time I'll stick with leaner cuts of beef. It's good enough.

Gyu Jin
Thinly sliced pork were also served, but seriously, we, the beef lovers, didn't really need this. We just focused on our plates of beef ^_*

There are some more all-you-can eat hot pot items from the buffet line...
Gyu Jin
Fish, which was nice to flavor the broth, and various balls, which I wouldn't waste my calories on....remember, we wanted to focus on this:
Gyu Jin
Hello, delicious!

But, you'd still need something to balance the richness of the beef...
Gyu Jin
...so we still grabbed a lot of mushrooms, pumpkins (which tasted heavenly after it gets tender and soaked all the flavors of the broth), tofu...
Gyu Jin
...and some veggies. I personally love Napa cabbage and the emperor veggie.

Gyu Jin
They serve some sauces which you can mix yourself, but you don't really need it, especially if you picked the sweet soy sauce soup base. It's flavorful enough.

Here's something you don't see a lot in a hot pot joint...
Gyu Jin
..beef fried rice! LOL. Don't bother.

Some came for the beef (i.e. me, myself and I)...but many came for this:
Gyu Jin
The all-you-can-eat Dreyer's Ice cream!
They literally went to get ice cream as soon as they were seated and ate ice cream throughout the meal while dipping meat into their hot pot.

You like?

Oh, and Prince Edward's branch serves free flowing soft drinks too. But as much as I love soft drinks, I love my beef more, so I didn't bother.

I've tried the Prince Edward and Mongkok branch, click here to check out more branches.
The price starts from HK$98 to HK$270 per person (this was the pricing for the wagyu beef) plus service charge.

8 comments:

Veny said...

wadoohh daging in everywhere hahaaa

Joanne said...

Oh my lord. I"m in hot pot heaven.

tigerfish said...

Look at the wagyu beef! Wow! We should all skip the beef fried rice and just attack the wagyu. ;p

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

Oh, that soy milk soup base is very intriguing; I've never seen it before.

Kay @ Chopstix2Steaknives said...

This looks really yummy! all you can eat hot pot and ice cream too. Definitely on my list when I am next in HK! Gung Hei Fatt Choi!!

Anonymous said...

dreyers chocolate cake ice cream is <3

Ben and Suanne said...

Whew! For a moment I thought you meant that you melted a tub of Dreyer's Ice Cream to make the hot pot broth! LOL!

Ben

Jackie said...

Wow, how did I miss out on this when I was in HK?! JEALOUS. Hot pot is one of my favourite things in the world!

Hope you're all doing well, my lovely!

Jax x